I believe that the journey is just as important as the destination, as is reflected in one of my favorite quotes by author J.R.R. Tolkein. Sit back and enjoy as I wander through life, keeping in mind that Not All Who Wander Are Lost!

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Gobble Gobble

Love to eat turkey... love to eat turrrkeeey
Love to eat turkey, cause it's good
Turkey for me, turkey for you
Let's eat turkey in a big brown shoe!
~Adam Sandler's Thanksgiving song, Weekend Update SNL

Well, it's that day again... the day when we celebrate pilgrims having a dinner party with the indians, where we're supposed to be spend the day grateful for all that the universe has blessed us with... and where we're supposed to gorge ourselves on the bird that Ben Franklin once wanted as the national animal, along with three different kinds of pie.

Don't get me wrong... I love Thanksgiving. It's a great excuse to not only have the day but the week off from school, to spend time with friends and family, to eat delicious food, and to reflect and respect the life you're living. But really, you gotta love the irony of this holiday.

People express their appreciation of this holiday in different ways...
Adam Sandler wrote a song about it
Friends always took it as an excuse to be extra funny.
Hank Green
told us 50 things he appreciates in his daily life.
President Obama took it as opportunity to show off his adorable sense of humor.

I always associate it with those construction paper turkeys you would make in elementary school by tracing your hand and decorating it with a little face and drawing in feathers. This year, my family is hosting a large dinner with family and friends - 10 or 11 people and I expect deliciousness and over-eating to be had by all.

I got myself in a bit of a funk today (meaning slightly bad mood but you can't pin your finger on what you feel bad about). It's mostly school related... I'm in the final stretch (2 weeks, 4 classes, 7 major assignments left) and it's hard to be on break and not be fully able to relax. I did see a great, hilarious film with George Clooney and Ewan McGregor -- <3 -- The Men Who Stare At Goats, but I'm not quite in a particularly *thankful* mood tonight. I am in a very talkative, bloggy mode tonight, hence the rambling.

I've said this a bazillion times without it coming to fruition, but I want to blog more. I like how it is similar to keeping a journal, but that it feels more purposeful since you have somewhat of an audience. I think it's important to formalize my thoughts into writing, to take the time to figure out what you're thinking and how you're processing what's been going on in your life. I'm not going to put a goal on it now, but I hope to be on here more.

If you're celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow, I hope you have a lovely holiday. If you're not (probably because you're not American), take it as an excuse to spend a few minutes thinking of what you're grateful... cause it can't hurt, right?

Cheers :)

No comments: