I believe that the journey is just as important as the destination, as is reflected in one of my favorite quotes by author J.R.R. Tolkein. Sit back and enjoy as I wander through life, keeping in mind that Not All Who Wander Are Lost!

Monday, January 26, 2009

We Take A Break From Our Usual Programming....

For today's blog, I'm going to take a moment to answer the 25 Random's Things challenge (game?) on Facebook, after I was tagged by Wendy yesterday. I couldn't resist doubling this up as a blog so I hope it still works. Here's how it goes...

Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it's because I want to know more about you.

(To do this, go to "notes" under tabs on your profile page, paste these instructions in the body of the note, type your 25 random things, tag 25 people (in the right hand corner of the app) then click publish.)

1.) I'm a serious Anglophile. I've always thought the Brits were just kind of the best. I love their accents, their history, their Queen, their tea, their country... Yeah. I've been there twice, and I must say, it doesn't disappoint. If I could ever choose to be of another nationality (or gain citizenship in another country), it would probably be England.
2.) I'm a teenager, but I don't hate my parents. I actually get along very well with them. I've never gone through that whole, "get the hell out of my life" stage, and since I've hit 17, I think I've probably avoided that stage for the most part.
3.) I don't hate school completely, nor do I never do my homework, or resent all books we've ever been "made" to read for English. I actually do complete basically all of my homework and I even sometimes think ahead about it. I don't mind it - I'm a student and it's what we do. I am a bit tired of high school - it's starting to feel a bit redundant, but it's not the worst thing in the world. Oh, and though I haven't liked all books we've been assigned (*cough-1984-cough*), I have liked a fair few of them, The Odyssey and Pride and Prejudice coming in as books I genuinely enjoyed.
4.) I am a liberal, tree-hugging Boulderite, to the core. I eat granola and Tofu, avoid beef, care about the Ozone layer, and couldn't be happier that Obama is President.
5.) I don't really pay attention to mainstream music. For many years, my main source of auditory entertainment has been soundtracks (aka scores) to movies. I can list off a dozen composers in a heartbeat who I love, and I've never found anything more beautiful or enjoyable to listen to. Now, that's not to say I don't like Coldplay, for example, but don't expect me to know the current hit tunes or artists.
6.) I always have to know the full storyline. I cannot just watch a TV for the sake of zoning out, or just start watching in the middle of a season - or worse, a few season's in. When I watch a show, I'm committed - to the characters, the plot, the storyline. I always have to go back to the beginning and see it all. The same goes any movie or book series.
7.) I think people who don't read are stupid. I'm sorry, I'm not going to lie or tone it down on this one. There's so much richness in books, you're lame if you're not partaking in their wisdom. TV and movies are awesome, but nothing will ever trump the written word.
8.) I am hopelessly addicted to the Internet. It freaks me out if I go a day or more without checking my email, reading the news on my favorite sites, logging on to Skype or Twitter... gack. When my computer breaks, I feel like a piece of my brain is missing. So, yes *raises hand* "I am a hopeless addict when it comes to my Macbook."
9.) This list of 25 Things feels rather long, possibly because I don't often actually do things like this very often. You know all those email chains people were really obsessed with several years ago? Yeah, I deleted pretty much all of them.
10.) Now that I've subscribed to Entertainment Weekly for a while, I don't think I'll ever want to stop. I so enjoy seeing who makes the cover each week, reading the Must List, laughing at the cynical reviews, and having something tactile to page through every week. The same goes for TiVo - or DVR's in general. It's one thing that has managed to integrate itself into my life so thoroghly that I can't imagine ever letting it go.
11.) I'm almost always way too wordy. I like lists of things, I'll often use two or three words when one will do, and if left to myself, my word counts will shoot through the roof. Take me, baby, or leave me. Oh, and I care about grammar. "Funner" is not a word, people!
12.) I think vlogging is cool - and I wish I could do it, but I'm one of those people who feels so incredibly awkward in front of a camera. That's why I want to direct or produce or write... I could never act. It seems to me the most slippery slope when it comes to self-confidence... YOU, trapped on film, forever!
13.) My cat is so much more than "just" a pet. She's been my friend, my sister, and my companion for, holy carp, 11 years, going on 12, now. Going away to college - if that happens - will be oh so hard because I don't know how I'll go to not seeing her every day. Now, that might sound like the kind of sentimentality that comes from a 4-year-old, but Molly's always been special to me.
14.) I'm shamelessly obsessed with Pirates of the Caribbean. Yes, true obsession. I can quote it, I know the music, and I've analyzed the plot. Scary, isn't it?
15.) I have pondered the meaning of life. I've tried to figure out why I'm here, what I'm meant for, and what will happen when I'm gone. Sadly, I've reached nothing more meaningful than "42."
16.) I believe in the power of positive thinking. While I don't believe in God, per se, I do believe that willing something to happen has some effect on the outcome. So, as long as you don't mind, I'm going to keep willing there to be a snow day.
17.) I've always wanted to be fluent in a cool language that not a whole lot of people know, and then to be able to speak it with A) My mom B) My best friend or C) (in the future) my spouse.
18.) I get emails from The Universe. I know, I'm special like that. (See here for more information. They're awesome!)
19.) I firmly believe that TV peaked when it reached Friends. Nothing will ever ever been funnier, more creative, or more brilliant or timeless than that glorious 10-season show. I love other series, but Friends is the one and only.
20.) When I was little, I wasn't really allowed to watch TV. I never knew Nickelodeon or Disney. PBS was it - Arthur was my favorite. Even into middle school, I wasn't allowed to watch anything during the weekdays, so I worked out an elaborate system of video cassette tapes and recording timers (ick, the days before TiVo!). Until very recently, I've always felt something holding me back - and I'll always do homework before TV. At first, I resented my parents for it but now I see the blessing that it was. I grew up reading, not being a couch-potato.
21.) I don't really like eating out in restaurants. I can never make up my mind about what to order, it's always super expensive, there's a long wait, and I always get stuck with too much food. Although, breakfast out is an exception to the rule - THAT, I love.
22.) I used to HATE exercising with a vengeance. I was seriously a very stangant kid. I'm actually kind of surprised I didn't turn out quite fat. Nowadays, I long to get to the gym and relax whenever I have the chance, but I used to run the other way. Well, not run, but you know.
23.) I'm a total night owl. Heart and soul. I feel tired if I have to get up anywhere before 8, or at least 7:30. I usually get creative bursts late at night, so, yeah, definitely not an early bird.
24.) I could care less about anything designer. It's hard enough to find jeans that fit me, let alone jeans that fit with a nice looking label? Why spend $200 just for a word?
25.) I pay attention to celebrities. Not in the "Ohmygod, Britney, look over here!" TMZ kind of way... just in a, "Ohmygod, Johnny Depp, look over here!" kind of way. I've gotten autographs (and pictures) from four Harry Potter actors so far, and I really treasure the autographs.

So, that's me. Sorry if that was crazy long, but you did as for a heck of a lot of random things. Off to tag someone else!

No comments: