I believe that the journey is just as important as the destination, as is reflected in one of my favorite quotes by author J.R.R. Tolkein. Sit back and enjoy as I wander through life, keeping in mind that Not All Who Wander Are Lost!

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Survival, 3.14159-Style

<--It was particularly difficult to choose a photo for this blog entry as there are many beautiful covers and illustrations online. To do them all justice, take a look here and here.

Well, I've been thinking and talking about my intention of reviewing my recent read Life of Pi for a fair amount of time now, so let's have at it.

First, a bit of background on the book itself. Life of Pi was published in 2001 - fairly recently - and became a bestseller in 2004. This was one of those books that a huge number of people heard about and or read. I received it as a Christmas gift in 2005 (I believe) and far from NOT wanting to read it, I simply didn't get around to it. It was the kind of book that was on my "list" but never made it to the absolute top priority. This book is already considered among many other works of "great literature" - it was even featured on an IB test a few years ago. In other words, it really is truly something special.

I picked up Life of Pi shortly after returning to school following Spring Break. My vacation was occupied by Wizard's First Rule, an 800 page epic with wizards, prophecies, and the like. In other words, I was coming off very light and fast reading fare. As I was none-too-pleased about returning to school, I was searching my bookcases for something mellow, maybe even melancholy, and certainly beautiful, to get me through the first week back. Life of Pi is all these things, and more.

Before I go further, let me just say that I highly recommend this book to ANYONE and everyone and that it is best read without knowing anything - not a summary, not a whiff of info off the back cover. So, if anything I've said so far has sounded interesting, I suggest you stop reading this little blog and pick up the book right now. I won't mind, really! If, however, you're okay with hearing more - or better yet, you've already read it, then by all means, continue...

Very basically, Life of Pi tells the story of a young boy, Pi (short for Piscine) whose family owns a zoo in India. As a child, Pi is deeply attracted to religion, in the end finding joy in being a Hindu, a Christian, and a Muslim. Pi's family decides to move to Canada, and so set sail on a boat with some of their animals. But, the boat sinks - with all its crew and Pi's family, leaving the poor boy trapped in a life raft with none other than an Orangutan, Zebra, Hyena, and Bengal Tiger. The tiger - named Richard Parker - is key to the story, as Pi must learn to survive with the monstrous beast on board his floating home. Now, without giving anything away, all I have left to say here is that the ending is stupendous. The final part of the book - volume 3 - throws a curve ball of sorts at the reader, which makes every bit of tedium on the life raft completely worth reading.

Now, I've found reading this book to be a highly personal experience. The emotions, ideas, and roller coaster of events can be read at different symbolic levels depending on your own situation in life. The story will resonate at different amounts depending on what you look for. A friend of mine from school, Greg Watson, has a wonderful essay on his blog about the religious metaphor that appears in the latter part of the book. (Click here if this sounds interesting).

For me, I found the story inspiring. I don't deal with religion to a great degree in my own life (my mom and I were just discussing this topic on this lovely Easter morning), but I found myself admiring and empathizing with the highly religious Pi. And, as an average high school student, survival in the middle of the ocean - alone with nothing but a great carnivorous companion - almost as far from my own place in life as imagining living on the moon. However, I found my heart tugged by the character's base desire to survive - above anything else. Finally, when faced with the knowledge that not only is this a true story, but that's it's difficult (or perhaps impossible) to know what truly happened in this fantastical tale, I was hit again with how subjective reality is. My life experience is completely dependent on me - as yours is on you and the places, people, and ideas that surround you.


See my Sazze.com review here:




3 comments:

Wendy said...

Stopped early in reading this and put a hold on a copy at the library. They called me today and I went and picked it up. I am going into reading this knowing nothing about it or having even heard of it until your post. I will let you know what I think when I am done, but I am a little nervous.

Laura said...

(Going to try replying to your comment, Wendy).

I do hope you like Life of Pi (especially since I recommended it ^_^). I'd like to say that it might not be your kind of book - it's very deep and literary and survival-oriented (a deep look at the human nature) and it takes a lot of thinking about to appreciate it, but it's a wonderful example of something recently written that was very good, so, let me know what you think!

Wendy said...

I only saw your reply because I came to see if it was here. I didn't get notified so I guess it doesn't work the way we hoped.
I will let you know what I think and don't worry I won't hold it against you if I don't like it, but deep and literary are not turn offs when reading a book :)