I believe that the journey is just as important as the destination, as is reflected in one of my favorite quotes by author J.R.R. Tolkein. Sit back and enjoy as I wander through life, keeping in mind that Not All Who Wander Are Lost!

Monday, August 31, 2009

Catching up: Tour of my new home!

This blog is the first of many quick, random, and possibly not-so-timely entries in an effort to catch up on my posting and continue blogging with some regularity. I've been meaning to put up this particular post for over a week, so without any further ado, here it goes. I moved into a dormitory on Thursday August 20th, and though it is less than 20 minutes away from my home, it's where I'll be staying for my freshman year of college.

So, let the tour begin. Welcome to Boulder! This is my door (from the inside) - a weird shot, I know. Turning around 180 degrees from here, you will see our weird little hallway which, as it turns, houses our closets. (Mine is the one on the right). On the wall directly behind these closets, my roommate and I found an excellent poster of one of our favorite men, Johnny Depp.The poster is a huge - 3 foot by 5 foot, and takes up the entire last wall of our hallway. The left side of the room is my side, so here is my bulletin board (and posters) and bed. Every dorm room needs storage...And I even have a nifty little windowsill. In this shot, you can also see the lights that hang outside my window and shine straight at my face at night. Annoying. Here's my desk, including...My meager collection of books and DVDs (I left most things at home), as well as....My gadgets: computer, iPod, and iPhone. Honestly not sure how I'd live without any of these things at this point. (Oh, and woot for Snow Leopard, which my Macbook is now running).
Next, there's our food area (the fridge is mostly full of smoothies right now) - and, yes, that's another picture of Johnny Depp. We can't get enough. Our TV has its own little spot. We figured out a nifty way to hook up our laptops to the larger screen and better speakers, so we can stream stuff from Hulu and watch DVDs with ease. Finally, I was lucky enough to get a suite room with a private bath, so as you can see in the above picture (on the right), here is the door into the bathroom... (The crazy red and black towels are mine - kind of love them).
Oh, and that sliver of wood on the left side of this picture shows the door to the OTHER room, which currently has only one person, but will probably have another as of tomorrow.

So, that's it from me for now. I've got lots more to catch up on, but I'm working on taking this one entry at a time. See you soon!

Cheers, :)

3 comments:

Gina said...

First of all, love the pink. My side of the room is all pink and my roommate's is mostly green. It's magical.
Secondly, HOW did you hook up your TV to your laptop? Please to be explaining. We haven't figured out how to do anything with the TV yet so it's just sitting there wasting space right now.

Laura said...

This was more my roommate's idea than mine, and it probably requires a fairly new TV (which I'm guessing you have). We had to buy three cords. Radio Shack advised us a lot, but I'll try to describe them so you can find them too.

The first is a VGA cable, at least that's what my roommate called it - this hooks up the video.

The next is a cord for you mac, which adapts the VGA cable. This is the kind you'd use to plug it into a projector (Apple should know what you're takling about).

The last is a double ended headphone jack (plugs into your computer, and then splits into red and white).

If you need pictures of what I'm talking about or more description, don't hesitate to ask. Having this system makes a HUGE difference - it really rocks.

Glad you like the pink. I'd love to see pictures of your room sometime!

Gina said...

Ooh thanks!
I actually have a pretty old TV so I don't know if it'll work, but I'll check it out. And yeah, I'm planning on posting pictures of my room when we're done decorating and stuff... we've had so little time the past few days that it's still a mess!