I believe that the journey is just as important as the destination, as is reflected in one of my favorite quotes by author J.R.R. Tolkein. Sit back and enjoy as I wander through life, keeping in mind that Not All Who Wander Are Lost!

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Music Fail

So, I just had a rather frustrating half hour. This summer, one of those big overarching mega-things I've been wanting to do is learn guitar. My Uncle gave me a guitar (I know, right?) several years back and I basically never picked it up. This was not from non-interest - I think guitars are beautiful instruments and I envy people who can play well - I just never did it, basically. Learning a new instrument is complicated - so I've found out. A few weeks ago now, I had what a friend of mine would call a C2J (Come-to-Jesus) chat with my mom. I was distraught at the feeling that summer was ending soon (even sooner now, as I write this) and that I hadn't done any of those big overarching mega-things I had been saying I wanted to do. So, she encouraged me, even if I only had a few weeks left, to just do my best to do them. Guitar was high on this list.

So I took out my guitar, wrote it on my to do list, opened up GarageBand (a nifty Apple program that has a lesson section), found a pick, tuned the sucker, and started trying to play an E chord. FAIL. My fingers were numb for a week and all I managed were a few dissident noises. But, even though I didn't practice again for a few days, I still had hope and interest. I was doing this now - I was going to magically teach myself guitar in the last few weeks of summer. I came back from the mountains this weekend, I practiced E chord again, started messing with G and C and... nothing. The cords were still a buzzing, thumping, music-less mess while the weird guy from the GarageBand lessons seemed to act like it was a piece of cake. (Side-note, where does that expression come from? It doesn't make a lot of sense). My fingers still hurt excruciatingly after a few seconds of holding a chord down... yada yada. So, here's today, attempting to have at it again, and, I just can't do it. I know you have to build up calluses and practice and ALL THAT, but that seems to be advise for when you can touch the damn strings for more than a few seconds without causing permanent nerve damage! I just don't get how to BEGIN!

So, in a fit of frustration at the GUITAR itself, I sat down to play piano. For many years (now long ago), I took piano lessons, learned songs, had little practice schedules (which I rarely followed), etc... But it fell by the wayside in the latter years of high school. What I've realized recently is that I really love the piano - I love playing it (especially since I tend to only play MY kind of music - sondtracks) and I love the way it sounds. Thus, when I got out my favorite song, (which I never fully learned), "My Heart Will Go On," I guess I was hoping to be cheered up in some sort of "SEE, YOU CAN STILL MAKE BEATUFIUL MUSIC" kind of way. Not so much. I can barely even read music anymore! I barely remember where the basic C octaves that you look for, what the song is supposed to sound like, and a few parts that I practiced ridiculous numbers of times. I'm sure if I picked up any of the other songs I had actually mastered, my fate would be just as grim. I can't play the piano anymore! And, more importantly, I want to be able to!

I'm in a great situation. I have two instruments I want to learn and fail at, and 3 real days left of summer (HOLY GOD!!!) I realize this is a rather spastic blog post but, I guess I'm sending this out into the universe to ask for... help? Advice? I'm leaving home (and my piano) behind, and I'll shortly be living in close quarters where guitar practice would probably be unwelcome... But despite all that, I don't quite want to give this up for a lost cause until next summer. Lessons, especially for guitar, sound like an obvious option, but I have a nagging doubt that I won't be able to fix it. What do I do?! I could mess around with reading music to get some piano skills back and maybe try to get in some time in music rooms (if the music school has open ones)... But, GAH, I just feel stuck between my desire to get a bit of music in my life and my apparent inability to do so.

Yeah, right, that's it from me for now. Cheers.

4 comments:

Daniel said...

I took piano lessons for about 13 years and can play fairly well. But, I didn't get to that point in a few days, or months. It took years, and still I'm not as good as others by far.

When I first started piano, it was rather dull and boring because I had to learn the notes, the key signatures, scales (omg those were so boring!), and the basics before continuing.

Now, I've only ever tried playing guitar a few times just randomly (with my friends guitar). I know how frustrating it can be when the strings you are pressing down on with all your might don't work right. But, as my friend told me, it takes a lot of practice to get familiar with the chords and playing them correctly.

Now, I can understand your frustration with trying to learn something that was on your list, but now being squeezed for the time you allotted. But, I would definitely look into seeing what kind of music rooms are available and such at your college. Oh, and don't be afraid to take your guitar along with you and practice!! You might be surprised at what your roommate likes and doesn't like (or tolerates). A lot of guys at my college had guitars and played them quite frequently. No one, even their roommates were bothered. Take the guitar with you and learn it! I know you can do it! =)

Gray Overcast said...

I agree. Bring your guitar along to college with you. Seriously, as much fun as you'll have at college, there will be times when you'll be bored looking for something to do.

Practice for 15-30 minutes a day or something. Your fingers will get used to it. It's like sewing. You have to form guitar fingers.

Also, you're roommate might tolerate it. Even if she doesn't, there will be times where she'll have class when you don't.

Matt Beaty said...

Bringing the guitar is definitely a great idea. If you don't want to take formal lessons (kind of spendy, but worth it), then perhaps you'll meet a hot guitar player at school who knows how to play and wants to teach you ;-)
I played guitar for a few years... 3 or 4 i believe. With enough practice it comes together fairly quickly.

Hilde said...

The piano playing will come back to you with a little bit of patience. It's like swimming or cycling – once learnt you never fully lose it. Try forgetting the music in front of you and see if your fingers remember any tidbits of piece you used to play. You might be surprised.

As for the guitar – I'd definitely take it a long. It could be a wonderful way to get to know others, be it someone who can teach you or who wants to learn, too.

But that all being said – don't forget that there is more to music. You could join a choir (or sing under the shower!). Or how about tapping your pen in class? (ok, many of my teachers didn't like me because I was always tapping out rythms). Long story short, don't focus on what you can't do. Work with what you have and the possibilities that are to come :)