I believe that the journey is just as important as the destination, as is reflected in one of my favorite quotes by author J.R.R. Tolkein. Sit back and enjoy as I wander through life, keeping in mind that Not All Who Wander Are Lost!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Blogging, Day Two: Haunting Tunes

Okay, I promise I won't just having "counting" titles for ever and ever, but as I make good on my new blogging goal, it's a good reminder. Here we go, Day Two.

Today's topic focuses around the sweet, haunting, and powerful tunes currently assailing my eardrums: The soundtrack (or rather, "score" as they're calling it) from the movie Twilight. Composed by Carter Burwell, an artist I'm not aware of other than this work, this music has definitely amazed me. I admit that Twilight itself wasn't a Grade-A movie. For a fan of the books, it hit dead on. It was like living in the story for a sweet 2-hour period. For an outsider, a critic, and basically anyone who's not a "Twihard," yes, it might fall a little short of a great movie.

However, the music is a different story altogether. I admit I barely noticed it during the movie. Whether this is the sign of its perfection - that it blended in so well it was not noticeable - or it's shortcomings, that I'm not sure, but I can truly say I haven't heard a soundtrack like this in a while.

Every now and then, a movie's music takes me by surprise. National Treasure's score by Trevor Rabin was an excellent example of this. It was a change from the John Williams and Hans Zimmers of the composing world (not that I have anything against either of those amazing composers). What these two soundtracks have in common is a freshness - an electric vibe and a jarring burst of noise that brings you back to the moment, and makes you stop whatever you're doing to simply listen.

This particular score is extremely expressive. From the first haunting notes of the first track, my mind immediately goes to Bella and Edward's story - to their predicament and Romeo + Juliet esque love story. The pounding drums of "Humans are Predators Too" seems to work through to your very heart as you listen. The jarring feedback of the electric guitar later on in the soundtrack brings yet another layer of sound. Yet it always comes back to the simple guitar notes and haunting violin that is simply beautiful and heart-renching.

And, as a final note, Bella's Lullaby is amazing. As not only a piece of music but a part of the plot, this little "ditty" had a lot to live up to, and I think it did so quite well. I don't know what I imagined on my own terms for this tune, but what they have is great.

Plus, I've been getting more and more amused by soundtrack "remixes" ever since the Pirates Remixed CDs started coming out. The remix on this particular CD certainly amuses, between the mix of the dialogue, and the contrast of the piano and the electronic beat... it's enough to keep one entertained without becoming annoyed.

So, there you have it. This may not be the first new soundtrack I've listened to non-stop or ranted about, and maybe someday it will be lost among my thousands of CDs that sit on my silver harddrive, but it won't be anytime soon, for Twilight's haunting music is hard to stop listening to.

No comments: