I believe that the journey is just as important as the destination, as is reflected in one of my favorite quotes by author J.R.R. Tolkein. Sit back and enjoy as I wander through life, keeping in mind that Not All Who Wander Are Lost!

Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Few Words of Wisdom

Okay, yeah, not so much with the "every day" concept, but I'm still working on it. (Who knows what this will be like once school is actually in session again, right?) Anyway, on that note, tonight's blog has a few words of wisdom, though not my own - of course.

I've just begun sinking into Merlin's Dragon by Boulder author and my personal favorite writer T.A. Barron. This latest book is set between his Lost Years of Merlin series and the Great Tree of Avalon books. Of course, it's shaping up to be quite a wonderful read.

Basically, at the beginning of each chapter, there are a few lines of, well, thoughts. I haven't figured out exactly whose thoughts they are - but they seem to be coming from the main character, a dragon/lizard/unknown creature named Basil. I've been continually astounded by the wisdom and quotable-ness these few lines seem to contain. So, I've decided to share a few of my favorites with you. My favorites so far that is. I'm only about 100 pages into the book. Here we go...

Chapter 6:
I learned something valuable that day - a lesson I've never forgotten. It's worth listening well to what you hear. No matter how bizarre the story ... or how bizarre the storyteller.

Chapter 9:
Change. What a paradox! The more you do it, the more you don't. The farther you seek it, the nearer you find it. The less it's in your world, the more it's in you.

Chapter 10:
Wisdom, like those who possess it, comes in all shapes and sizes. That much I've learned, often the hard way. yet despite all their differences, truly wise people share this same understanding:

No matter how much you know, you still have a lot to learn.

So there you have it, a few pearls of wisdom... inklings of thoughts... gems to ponder. T.A. Barron sure knows how to string words together!

No comments: