I believe that the journey is just as important as the destination, as is reflected in one of my favorite quotes by author J.R.R. Tolkein. Sit back and enjoy as I wander through life, keeping in mind that Not All Who Wander Are Lost!

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Falling for "The Fall"

As I jump back into school (eeek!), I'm sure it will be hard to find time to blog. In fact, for the next few days, I might have to blog with a purpose (unheard of!), as I have several essays to brainstorm for Scholarship Applications. This seems as good a place as any to get some thoughts jotted down.

But, for tonight, I want to talk about a film. And not just any film, a truly incredible awe-inspiring, rave-worthy film my family recently saw. It's called, simply, The Fall.

As a quick summary, The Fall is set at a hospital in the 1920's. A little girl who is staying there while her broken arm heals befriends another patient named Roy. Aiming to entertain her (and to achieve other, darker ends), Roy begins to tell the little girl a story. The story takes shape around the people in the girl's life, around Roy's past, and around other events in the plot.

Sure, it sounds simple, but let me add the kicker. The Fall was filmed over a four-year period, in over 18 different locations. It used no green-screen or special effects. Check out the trailer (see the link below) and you may begin to understand why this achievement is so spectacularly marvelous. I remain firmly convinced that Tarsem, the director, found the most beautiful locations possible for this film. And location isn't everything. The plot packs quite a punch as well.

Now, I won't bother truly rating this movie - I like pretty much everything I see (with the exception of perhaps one Kate Hudson movie, and the Fantastic Four films). But this, well, this film just took my breath away.

In my mind, it takes filmmaking back to its roots. Back to a time when there was no green-screen, no Gollum or Davy Jones, no Dragons, CG environments, or magical yet physically impossible worlds. Tarsem did something truly incredible. He captured our world, just as it is, and wove it in with a beautiful story, creating a wondrous work of art. Don't get me wrong ... I'm fully intrigued by all the possibilities modern day CG techniques have to offer. It's just nice to see something so simply beautiful.

Anyway, if there's anyone out in the ever-expanding World Wide Web currently reading this, anyone who hasn't seen this film, let me just finish with two words: You must.

For more information on Tarsem's The Fall, check out the following links:
IMDb Info
Official Site
Trailer

No comments: