I believe that the journey is just as important as the destination, as is reflected in one of my favorite quotes by author J.R.R. Tolkein. Sit back and enjoy as I wander through life, keeping in mind that Not All Who Wander Are Lost!

Friday, December 26, 2008

24/7



(Don't worry; this is SPOILER FREE!)

Whew. I get exhausted just watching Jack Bauer. Poor guy - never drinks, eats, or goes to the bathroom, and he gets the pulp beaten out of him constantly throughout the hellish day we watch him go through.

Yes, I'm in the middle of Season 6 of 24. And, man, is it addicting! It's a bit curious, really, why something about terrorism and terrible horrible no-good, very bad days would make such a good television show, but I really do enjoy it, as do many people.

I think it's adrenaline. It's exciting and gives you a rush as you watch it. And, even though it depicts things that would be so horrible in real life, it's not real. It came a bit too close to reality on 9/11 (by coincidence, more or less), but other than that, it doesn't really depict reality. There is no CTU, and there's no miraculous agent Jack Bauer here to save the world. Seriously, each of those punches would do some serious damage.

But, it's amusing. I enjoy watching it with my family, enjoying our various response: My dad who pretends he's not interested ("it's too violent") then ends up joining us and asking to watch it; My mom, who gets annoyed at the medical innacuraces, and shrinks at any sign of needles or blood (we do watch Grey's Anatomy also, by the way); and me, who ends up shouting various vulgarities at evil Presidents, troublesome Jack, and stupid terrorists.

So, if you haven't already partaken in this blood-fest, spiraling body-count of a TV show, I recommend you do, because it's too much fun to miss out on.

I've got one note about this season that I find interesting. It is, of course, a necessity to keep changing the country from which the terrorists originate from. In 6 seasons, the writers have been creative: Russia, Mexico, and even pissed-off British Marine guys have come into play. However, in this season, we are dealing with some Middle Eastern country... trouble is, we don't know which one. They keep saying "go find the ambassador" not specifing his country, or "we must bomb the northern part of their country," again not being specific. It strikes me as a bit of a double standard to create a fictional terrorist group from Russia, and then one from some unnamed Middle Eastern country. I suppose it would be hitting a little too close to home if they were to specify which one.

So, anyway, we've got 6 episodes left and the clock is ticking (quite literally). While we know beloved Jack will continue muttering in his musky breath, breaking rules, shouting at bad guys, shooting and never missing, and above all, never taking a break, I can't wait to see what happens next!

No comments: