I believe that the journey is just as important as the destination, as is reflected in one of my favorite quotes by author J.R.R. Tolkein. Sit back and enjoy as I wander through life, keeping in mind that Not All Who Wander Are Lost!

Monday, December 22, 2008

Ruminations from a different time

Whew, I've just finished reading Emma, one of Jane Austen's wonderful novels. What a ride! I always feel like I've been transported to a totally different place and time when I'm in the middle of one of those books... Life was so different then - for women, for men... for everyone!

I can't imagine living in a time where everything was about marriage, social visits, and propriety! It was so simple, and could so easily be tedious.

Women had nothing to do but to search for a husband, to manage the servants and the household, and watch the children. If they were lucky enough to live in lively social circles, they could partake in balls and grand evenings... but that would only lead to social ridicule and inevitably someone whispering about someone else when backs were turned. They were quite mean to each other then, but really did nothing more than exchange pleasantries. The cattiness that Jane Austen paints - I assume it reflected how life reallyw as - is astounding! It's like high school only in a ball gown!

Men had nothing more to do than to manage the farm or the money, to meet with their friends, and to search for a wife who would be acceptable for their position in society. If he was lucky, he ended up with a wife he liked - or even loved... but it seems a too often occurance of ending up with a silly prattling woman like Emma's Mrs. Elton.

It sure makes for a fun read, though. I love being in that world of social conduct, of tête-à-têtes, and searching for a way to find a spouse above anything else is quite refreshing compared to a world of college, technology, bad economies, and global warming.

I was particularly struck by a theme in Emma - or rather, an idea. It's an important part of the plot that one character will fancy it that another loves them... and it leaves to all sorts of miscommunication and wrongdoings. It really shows how objective the world is... That what I perceive is completely different and perhaps even totally independent to how you would perceive it. I suppose this is important to remember for dealings with anyone, as Emma learned, and Jane Austen was probably trying to teach... That you never know what someone else is thinking!

Anyway, I do intend to get down some thoughts about Slumdog Millionaire, but that will have to be tomorrow's task. Have a lovely evening!

Oh, and in the words of the great John and Hank Green.... DFTBA!

No comments: