I believe that the journey is just as important as the destination, as is reflected in one of my favorite quotes by author J.R.R. Tolkein. Sit back and enjoy as I wander through life, keeping in mind that Not All Who Wander Are Lost!

Monday, December 8, 2008

Sign-offs, Peace Outs, and other Un-Salutations

Well, what other fancy name for "goodbyes" is there? They're un-salutations... as in, I'm not saluting you, I'm walking away from you.

Anyway, I've noticed lately that these are very popular and very iconic. Some of my friends (or at least acquaintances) will regularly say "Peace" or "Peace Out" or simply "Later" instead of something spontaneous like "Goodbye," or "See you later."

And on blogs this is common too. Over at the Krug Blog, who I admit I admire for writing regularly, Cass always signs out with "May the Force Be With You" (and there's a story behind it).

So do I need a sign out? A farewell-bidder to anyone or everyone who's reading, or even to myself for closure as I end a blog?

Not a bad idea. Let's see... I hate one word responses... "peace" is a noun, not a replacement for Goodbye. Star Wars has been referenced... is there anything from Pirates? Ah, yes. There we go.

Drink up me hearties. Till tomorrow.

No comments: