I believe that the journey is just as important as the destination, as is reflected in one of my favorite quotes by author J.R.R. Tolkein. Sit back and enjoy as I wander through life, keeping in mind that Not All Who Wander Are Lost!

Monday, December 29, 2008

Food - er - Milk for Thought

Wow, it's been a few days since I've gotten a post up. I've seen two very good, very blog-able (yes, I know that's not a word) movies since I last wrote, and I want to get to them each in turn. So, first up is...

The fantastically acted, very socially-poignant (and currently resonant) film, Milk. I'm going to take this in a few pieces.

The Story:
Okay, personally, this was one bit of history that never came to my attention. I had never heard the story of Harvey Milk, Proposition 6, Anita Bryant, or the "Twinkie defense." Background for anyone who doesn't know: Harvey Milk was the first openly gay man elected to public office, as a member of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. (More biographical information here). But what an interesting story. Harvey Milk really fought all the odds, running again and again, gaining momentum until he was finally elected. Then, he began to fight for gay rights. Battles were raging in many states, focusing around ordinances whether or not people could be discriminated against on the basis of their sexuality. The culmination was Proposition 6 in California, in which a senator attempted to fire all teachers who proved to be homosexual. Milk and his supporters, friends, and allies managed to... well, if you know history, you know how it goes. If not, I'll leave it to the movie to tell you what happened.

The Acting:
Wow. Seriously, what words can describe? I fully believed, for those two hours, that Sean Penn was Harvey Milk, a gay man fighting for what he believed in. The supporting actors - James Franco, Diego Luna, Emile Hirsche, Josh Brolin... were all equally believable. At the end of the film, before the credits, clips of the actual men were shown with clips of the actors. It was darn hard to tell them apart.

The Sentiments:
What really struck me about Milk was how it seems to resonate with the current events concerning gay marriage, particularly regarding Proposition 8 in California. We really are facing the same battle that Harvey Milk and everyone in his time fought 30 years ago. What led to this? Did our country take so many steps back to be facing this yet again?

On a personal note, I fully support gay rights. I believe that how someone lives his or her life - and particularly who they love - should not be the concern of anyone else, and should not be regulated. I feel disgusted when I hear Bible-clutching conservatives spouting off nonsense about how God hates homosexuality. Okay, that's a personal opinion, and one that Milk allows, but doesn't necessarily support. It takes the facts about Harvey Milk's life, about the battle against Proposition 6, and presents it for you to disgust as you will.

The Effect:
I walked out of the theater feeling inspired and saddened - an odd mix of emotions, I know. So much of the movie's message (if you believe in something, fight for it) felt strengthened by this past election. And yet, I come again to Proposition 8. My family and I were wondering on our way home whether this movie's release (if it had been released earlier) would have effected the outcome of Proposition 8 in California. I, personally, believe it might have. Though it wouldn't have reached people who are already close-minded on the subject, it might have reminded others of the past, and opened their eyes to think for themselves. Regardless, it was released afterwards. And, as it faces the future as a work of media, it's entirely possible it will win Oscars - I'd be willing to place money on actor nominations, if not screenplay as well... But I wonder how it will effect the next major battle of gay rights. Harvey Milk is definitely worth remembering.

One final note:
There was one part of the movie I wasn't a huge fan of. It's narrated in pieces by Milk, looking back on his life, recording a tape in case he is assasinated. Now, if this tape actually exists, more power to them... this is a brilliant addition. If not, it felt a bit choppy, as if they were in need of some narration to speed events along and explain things they didn't have time to show. Maybe if I saw it again, I'd like it, but the first time round, this interrupted the flow of the movie for me.

No comments: